Information for Parents of International Students

How do I apply for a study permit?

Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) commonly from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate near you or online at Once your application is accepted by Medicine Hat Catholic School Board International Program, we will then provide you with the proper documentation to apply for your study permit.

Do you have a Homestay Program?

All students participating in our International Program are placed in a safe, healthy, pre-screened Canadian family homes. All of our homestay families have been selected by us.

What happens if students are unhappy with their homestay?

The MHCBE Administrative Assistant checks in every few weeks to see how the student is doing, and answers any questions or concerns the student may have. We are available 24/7 for both the student and the family. We try to resolve any conflict first but if we feel the difficulties cannot be resolved, we will move the student to a new family.

Do you offer medical insurance?

Yes, and it is a mandatory fee in our International Program Cost. It pays the costs of medical services if you are unexpectedly sick or injured. Canadian law requires international students to have medical insurance. Without insurance, the cost of medical care in Canada is extremely expensive. 

What day do you prefer the students to arrive?

Right now, because of Covid-19 the students are required to arrive two weeks for quarantine before school starts.

When do students have vacations?

Students have one week in November, two weeks at Christmas, one week in February for reading week, and one week at Easter.

Can students travel by themselves to different cities on vacations?


Does the school arrange any trips or activities?

We have monthly activities for our students and their host families. Some of our activities are skiing, sledding, skating, hiking, and sight-seeing trips.

Is pick-up and drop-off at the airport included in the fees?

Yes, your child will safely be picked up and dropped back off at the airport for the start and end of the program.

Are sport team fees included in the tuition fee?

No, these activities are an extra cost for the student.

Are course fees included in the tuition fee?

Yes, but if the student decides to participate for courses or field trips that are extra costs, it is the responsibility of the student to pay for these fees.

Do you assist in mark validation process required by the home schools of Spanish and Brazilian student?

Yes, we charge a fee to defray the cost of the validation service.

What about cellphone access?

We recommend using PhoneBox Mobile's services for cellphone access. Click the following link for a deal on SIM card activation: